Jun 4, 2012

Weekly Goal: Sleep

GOAL: Be in bed by 9:30 this week.

Sleep is a very important aspect of your health.  I've already posted on what sleep can do for your health here.  Not only does it help your emotional and mental health, but it also plays a crucial role in how your metabolism is performing... aka... it plays a role in weight loss.

 Researchers from the University of Chicago has found that when you get enough sleep while trying to loose weight, you lose more fat compared to those who don't get enough sleep and they lose more muscle mass.  And just like I described in my earlier post, they found that when you are sleepy your body makes a hormone that makes you feel hungry....causing you to over eat and not lose weight.

I have found this to be very true.  I have noticed a significant difference in the way that I feel emotionally, mentally and physically depending on how much sleep I get.  When I was in college and I decided I wanted to change my life and get really healthy- I was in bed by 9:30 during that semester.  It was so hard to do!  I had homework, friends, and my roommates were all up till the early hours of the morning, but I forced myself to keep that strict bedtime and after a couple of weeks I felt like a completely new person.  I felt so good!  Better than I had ever felt!  After getting married and moving on with life I have lost that habit and I can feel the effects of it.

So this week I am going to be in bed by 9:30.  Hopefully after a week or two I'll have more energy like I use to.  Now you don't have to choose 9:30, maybe 10 or 10:30 is a big step for you!  But do try to focus on getting to bed earlier this week.  It won't be easy, but stick with it and you might be surprised at what a difference sleep can make for you!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, when I stay up too late I get hungry and then can't sleep till I have a snack because my stomach starts to hurt haha Thanks for the motivation! :)

    http://bronsonbloopers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete